Sign up to receive 5 free days of our daily summary for tech news.

Celebrate our 5th anniversary and—for one week only—get the best tech and business reporting for $100 off—just $299/year.

Read this article for free.

Already a subscriber? Log in here

Q&A
Enterprise Google

Evernote Declares War on Microsoft Office, Lends Hand to News

Evernote CEO Phil Libin says his seven-year-old startup is coming out of “stealth mode” Thursday at the company’s fourth annual conference for partners and software developers.

The service, which lets people save notes and other digital media to retrieve later, often gets lumped in with file-storage startups Dropbox and Box. Mr. Libin wants to make the distinction clearer by launching new productivity software that attempts to challenge the Microsoft Office juggernaut and let people do more work within Evernote itself, though he isn’t disclosing details yet. That means a bigger push to cater to businesses—which Dropbox and Box are increasingly courting.

The Russian-born Mr. Libin, who is 42, also says he wants to help news publications connect with Web users and will make a “major announcement” about that. It’s easy to imagine that with tens of millions of active users, Evernote can surface news content that’s relevant to them and their work.

Evernote has more than 100 million registered users, but it’s unclear how many of them are active and what percentage pay for a premium version. The company doesn’t disclose revenue, though it has disclosed that around 70% of its revenue comes from customers who pay for premium service, which starts at $45 a year. The other 30% is split roughly evenly between the version of Evernote for businesses and, somewhat surprisingly, from Evernote-branded physical goods like scanners and notebooks.

Only a quarter of Evernote’s users are in the U.S. and Canada, and the company has been focusing on growing its staff across Asia, where more than 30% of its users live. Mr. Libin says Evernote still “feels a couple of years away from being ready” to IPO.

Earlier this week we spoke to Mr. Libin about the PowerPoint “problem,” what selling business socks has to do with Evernote, why Google is everyone’s potential nightmare, and “EverForce,” a possible acquisition by Salesforce.com.

What Is The Information?

Notebook b5103017ee163370a1667c9ce59ab0ef023875a17888105d26c185cadf31bb69

Daily news analysis

Every weeknight, we'll send you our reporters’ views on the day’s top tech news—distilled into one email.

Notes bb3aa5069205d702dda37fc71dc6f1c59df2310c4379304e9f1199f052af4884

Exclusive Articles

We broke it first. Receive original reporting, stories, and exclusives you won't read anywhere else from the largest newsroom in tech.

Conference calls c9e664e8b96ee347d3e92b8309938f268422b9db98cfabca5c826fbb75054b23

Conference calls

Go deep into areas like crypto and VC diversity—or get real-time analysis of breaking news—via conference calls with our reporters and other experts.

Events 499acedd16cffc41445edd76bfd302b2836c2a27419890f17130a6b10e2aa3df

Special Events

For no extra fee, subscribers get access to more than a dozen events yearly, from intimate dinners to larger gatherings with marquee speakers.

Access the best reporting on the tech industry read by tens of thousands of global executives.

Become a contributor

Share your views and find other subscribers by completing your profile. You’ll be listed in our contributor directory.

Org Charts

Access the only collection of tech company org charts. Our expanding database includes companies like Amazon, Snap, and Uber.

Slack community

Discuss topics and current events with our subscriber-only Slack group and share news about your company with other subscribers.

Share with your team

Subscribers can unlock any article and share it with friends and co-workers through a special share link.

Stay up to date on Silicon Valley

Sign up for Jessica Lessin’s (The Information’s CEO & Founder) free Saturday newsletter and also receive a complimentary week of our daily afternoon tech commentary email.

Already a subscriber? Log in here

Recent Articles

Enterprise Cloud

AWS to Expand Security Offerings With Threat-Hunting Tool

By Kevin McLaughlin, Sarah Kuranda, and Amir Efrati

Google

Google CEO Sundar Pichai’s Year Under Fire

By Sarah Kuranda

Asia Google

How the Chinese Government Is Helping Google Sell Ads in China

By Wayne Ma

Asia Google Cloud

Google and Tencent Secretly Explore Cloud-Computing Cooperation

By Juro Osawa