Google said it will hasten the shutdown of Google+, its moribund social network, after it discovered a security bug that exposed the personal information of 52 million users. An update to its software in November inadvertently exposed the private information, including names, email addresses and ages of its users, to developers and apps. Google said in a blog post it will shut down the social network in April instead of in August.
Google had previously announced a bug in Google+ that exposed information on hundreds of thousands of users. While the company said there was no evidence that the exposed information in this case had been misused in any way, it is an issue that Google CEO Sundar Pichai will likely have to address on Tuesday when he testifies before the House Judiciary Committee, where cybersecurity and data privacy were already expected to be topics of discussion.